Tuesday, April 10, 2018

The elevator ride that lifted me to "work 'smarter every year'"


It may have been some time since you last heard from me, but I'm working on a plan to make up for it along with a refresh and revamp of our marketing content. I'm excited and hope you enjoy your front row seat as we share this journey.

While Women’s History Month has come to a close, as a part of our pledge to #PressforProgress on International Women’s Day, we’re planning on continuing the celebration of successful women in information management throughout the year.  My journey into this industry began with the late Nien-Ling Wacker, founder of Laserfiche, so we found it fitting to begin by honoring her.

Our business would not be where it is today if Nien-Ling had not developed her idea of a simple, elegant document management system into a successful enterprise. I also owe some of my personal success to this visionary woman.

Over the years, I had many encounters with Nien-Ling as we connected on many fronts. She was always very warm to me and loved that I had left the corporate world to work with my father. I have many fond memories of her, but my most memorable was a 60-second elevator ride.

As I recall it, during this elevator ride she leaned over and asked:
"Tell me, will I see you on the cruise?" (The Winners Circle cruise for top resellers was scheduled to take place immediately following the conference)

"No ma'am, but we are close."

"Close?" She questioned.

"Yes. I've been working with an industry association, and Tom's been busy with the hotel."  This was his other business at the time.

She backed up in the elevator (which was packed because the annual conference had outgrown its space) and looked at me squarely in the face and said, "Laserfiche is not a hobby. It's either all you do, or not what you do."

I froze as I scoured my mind for the reason why we hadn't made it to the winner's circle yet. In that moment, what she said stung and brought tears to my 30-year-old eyes. However, it also sparked a passion in me that has been a driving force ever since. You better believe we have achieved winner's circle ever since, too!

So, here's to the woman whose name means "smarter every year" in Chinese, and to all the women in our histories who have challenged us to become our best selves. I look forward to sharing our new content as we Run Smarter.

See you later this week at the AIIM conference!
~Eren

No comments:

Deau Document Scanning Solutions